Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Anxiety around eating and drinking

Thanks for sharing @MessyMind, i can really relate to your experience. I am going through something similar myself. I have also had really traumatic encounters in the past with dieticians, minimising and mocking my distress around food. I feel a lot of frustration/impatience from doctors and people in my life, which tends to just make my anxiety around food and my under- eating worse.

It's really tricky to know what support and treatment to access, when we don't neatly fit into the eating disorder categories. 

I also empathise with the feelings of tiredness and having no strength to navigate it all when the body is starved.

I know as well, accessing psychology is really difficult, financially and then even if you can access an appointment, they might not be helpful or understanding in this area.

I recently learnt that if you can get the GP to diagnose ARFID or OSFED, you will be able to get medicare rebates through an eating disorder treatment and management plan (not the mental health care plan). This one has more sessions, i believe. I understand though, that even with the medicare rebate, it can still be out of reach financially.

This is a clinic based in Melbourne that was recommended to me, they offer telehealth:

https://www.mindbodywell.com.au/

I just found that reading their articles, newsletters and blog posts helpful. And calling them for general information regarding referrals and eligibility as well was helpful. They have this page you can show your gp:

https://www.mindbodywell.com.au/eating-disorder-management-plans-doctors

I hope you're feeling stronger soon.

Re: Anxiety around eating and drinking

Hey! I’m sorry for bringing up an old topic, but what you’re saying sounds so familiar!!

im currently starting to have these kinds of anxious feelings around eating and drinking currently (came out of nowhere in the last couple of weeks) and it’s nice to know I’m not alone. God anxiety sucks

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance