Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

mossiemossie
New Contributor

Older sister has Schizophrenia

For a very long time, my older sister has had schizophrenia and only this year has she started to go back to her old habits of talking to herself, believing her halluciations and made up people in her reality, thinking she is 'pregnant' and about to get married or that some day that I will understand. 

Her behaviour has sent her on leave from work as they were getting worried she wasn't able to perform up to the company's standards. Due to some challenging cultural beliefs, it has lead her to believe that our family is not 'nice enough' when we have grown up in a really strict immigrant family. 

It's honestly taking a toll on my mental health as:

1. She will be spending most of the day sitting by herself in the house talking to herself or sleeping in random places around the around. Whenever you try to talk to her she will start talking about childhood trauma (that my siblings and I have went through), her lack of motivation to live (extremely concerning) or she's in some physical pain. Whenever she does cry, she always we don't understand even if she tells us. 

2. My parents have passed down generational trauma which only escalates my sister's mental illness even more because they don't understand the right way to approach her. They are results oriented instead of invested on the process of her getting better which can make health care plan discussions intense. They are also workingg 7 days a week and are extrememly exhausted from dealing with my older sister so they work to get their minds off all of the problems.

3. I work in a high pressure environment in the community which only escalates my mental health even further than it should. I'm so over feeling worthless, low self-esteem, stressed out to the point where micro decisions push me over the edge. I'm tired. I'm exhausted. I honestly feel like no-one but my younger sister understands what I am going through no matter who I go to for support.

I can't even describe how much impact this is having on me in such a small post. I really needed an outlet to share these thoughts with a community of people who might understand where I am coming from. 

1 REPLY 1

Re: Older sister has Schizophrenia

Hey @mossiemossie ,

Welcome to the forums.

Caring for someone with schizophrenia has been a bit of a hot topic lately on the forums. A key message across the posts has been around people with schizophrenia clearly needed treatment, but refusing it.

I read how hard this is on carers and loved ones. 

Do you think your sister will go with you to even see the GP to have a chat about what's going on for them? Or is there someone to take them to see the GP? I recognise you have a lot on your plate.

At the same time, please remember your own mental health and wellbeing. It's so important.

You may be interested in some of these resources:

Schizophrenia Top Picks 

Schizophrenia Fact Sheet

Please know you are not alone. We are here for you.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance