Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

_Aurora_
New Contributor

Safe Space To Chat?

Is there a safe space for people, [edited by moderator] to just chat? 

No responses of it will get better, please reach out to XYX, think of the people left behind, etc

But a genuine conversation between people going through the same thought process

8 REPLIES 8

Re: TW: Safe Space To Chat?

Hey there @_Aurora_ ,

Good on you for reaching out. You've shown a lot of strength and courage. We recognise things are not easy for you now, and sitting with these thoughts can be quite unpleasant. 

I live with chronic suicidal ideation due to my mental health condition. However, I have no intention to act. I am safe. I have such an incredible life, yet I still have these thoughts? Why? I really don't know. But I was told they are here to stay... let's just say, I'm better at putting these thoughts in the back of my mind rather than have the in the forefront stage....

Yet it wasn't always like that. I've been through very very dark times, and somehow I pulled through. When I had no strength left, the system carried me through for which I am very grateful. 

It IS hard now @_Aurora_  - I hear that. Yet you are here for a reason. 

I'll also send you a check-in email.

Re: Safe Space To Chat?

Been searching for something similar myself. Maybe we could chat to each other 🤔

Welcome, @_Aurora_  🙂

I think what you might be looking for is a chat room??

The SANE Forums don't have a chat room due to the anonymity rule, which is to keep us all safe. However the forums are a safe place to chat, here on the threads.

You can talk about SI (suicidal ideation) as long as you don't mention methods or a plan. For instance, you can say "My SI has been bad lately". However you can't say, "I have a suicide plan and am acting on it tonight." This might trigger others or make them upset for your safety. It will also cause the moderators to call in professional crisis help for you.

Here are the guidelines on safety .

A handy forum tip is if you tag someone by typing @ and then clicking on their name in the drop-down box, that person will get a notification and won't miss your reply.

Welcome also to @Irongloves  🙂

Hi @_Aurora_ @Irongloves 

Nice to meet both of you.

I have SI too. I have good and bad days. Some days I can't see a way forward and other days I can ignore my thoughts and carry on with my life.

Just so you know that you are not alone. Please keep reaching out for support.

Hello to everyone on this thread. SANE is currently using a co-design process with members to discuss ways to improve the forums, and as part of that we are exploring this very idea - the creation of a room for people who are experiencing suicidal ideation to chat - a digital safe space if you will. I would really value any thoughts people in this thread would like to share about what that kind of "room" could look like if it was created as a sub-forum here in SANE-forums. Please share any ideas you have.

Hi @RachSANECEO 

I think that is a great idea. I can understand the need for a safe space to talk about SI. 

I think someone over seeing the room is a must. I also think that members need to be able to guarantee their safety for themselves and others. 

That sounds really positive @RachSANECEO . The elements of what makes for safety aren't the same for all people all the time, after all. Very one door thinking.

Hey there @_Aurora_ ,

How are you doing today?

We wanted to check-in with you as we recognise things are tough right now.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance