Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday// Speak Up: The Power in Using Your Voice // Tuesday 30th January 2024 5:30-7PM AEDT

Thank you @oscbeep 🙂

Re: Topic Tuesday// Speak Up: The Power in Using Your Voice // Tuesday 30th January 2024 5:30-7PM AEDT

This entire conversation has been absolutely perfect ❤️ 

I feel like I have growth opportunities available and some ideas that I haven't considered 

So unbelievablely grateful 

I am stuck in a horrible situation whereby it doesn't matter how assertively I communicate my needs with my son, he steadfastly refuses to accept my diagnosis and my needs, eg: he refuses to push me in my wheelchair if I get tired because he believes I can just get up and walk!  It would be funny if it weren't so hurtful.  Can anyone give me any advice?

I'm so sorry you're experiencing that @Cali_Rose 

Sending you so many hugs ❤️

@TideisTurning 

Thanks for the topic

At times I'm really great at speaking up and standing up for myself and other times this isn't a great strength as it takes my brain to process what people say. This is something I need to continously work on.

People can say cruel thing's, it can mostly be the ones that are closest to you as well.

And I'm guess I get afraid that if I become the assertive person to everyone then I'll end up with no one in my life.

Knowing when to say something is the hard part and the fact my brain doesn't process what people say until later sometimes makes it a little challenging as well.

But as I said, it's a work it progress.

I hope that all makes sense 

It would be lovely to be able to shrug thing's off, but unfortunately we have feelin

Igs and some are more sensitive then other's (🙋‍♀️)

Thank you @amber22

@Cali_Rose wrote:

I am stuck in a horrible situation whereby it doesn't matter how assertively I communicate my needs with my son, he steadfastly refuses to accept my diagnosis and my needs, eg: he refuses to push me in my wheelchair if I get tired because he believes I can just get up and walk!  It would be funny if it weren't so hurtful.  Can anyone give me any advice?

Is it possible that pushing you might be too exhausting for him to do on a regular basis? If he's not up to the task of giving you the assistance you need, do you have other options?

He's 28 and fit and healthy!  I am only seeing him for 5 days because he lives in Scotland and has been on at me to visit. I have never travelled overseas as a person with a disability before. I only need his help to push every now and then.

@Cali_Rose Thank you for sharing you situation- this sounds really tough and sometimes no matter no hard we try people can be set in their ways. Something I might suggest rather than having to use your own voice, that sharing the perspective of others (maybe public disability advocates?) about your diagnosis. Sometimes when we have a relationship with sometime (especially parent/child) and we are not being heard this can get really complicated with how to approach the other person's stigma or closemindedness! I hope that you can experience some change in your situation! 

Thank you so much for sharing @Hopefulsoul. I feel like so much of what you've said resonates with me, and I'm sure others too. Advocacy can most definitely be easier in some situations than others, for a variety of reasons. It's also ok for it to be something you continue to work on as you improve, learn and gain more confidence 😊

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance