Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday// Speak Up: The Power in Using Your Voice // Tuesday 30th January 2024 5:30-7PM AEDT

I'm thinking that speaking up and making requests to enhance my safety allows others to know what I need to feel safe 

Re: Topic Tuesday// Speak Up: The Power in Using Your Voice // Tuesday 30th January 2024 5:30-7PM AEDT

Great questions @Quilly, and important! For my part, I feel like a lot depends on context and the specific situation. I'm really curious if anyone else in the community has any ideas? @exploring @chibam @Loiter @Patchworks @Shaz51 @Oaktree @nula_ray @Glisten @Snowie  

I'm suffering a headache so signing off. I'll read up the conversation later! 🙂

Aww hugs @Patchworks , hope you feel better soon 💖 

@amber22 wrote:

How might speaking up relate to safety and self-expression?

There are obvious safety risks to speaking up earnestly. The obvious example is that if you speak up in terms of revealing your suicidalness, you run the risk of having your freedoms taken away from you (e.g. by being committed). So there is a need to be careful when speaking up and to mind what you say. Makes honesty very difficult in many situations, TBH.

Rest up and I hope you feel better soon! @Patchworks 

Thank you for joining us for the first bit 🙂

Take care for yourself! @Patchworks

Awesome thanks

@oscbeep , @amber22 

I think having a sare place like the sane forum where we  can share our voice and stories to help us have the confidence to speak up 

Yeah definitely. There are a lot of benefits to interpersonal relationships that I think us people pleasers are keenly aware of and the thought of potentially jeopardising that is really scary. Another example I can think of is at work -- what if speaking up gets me fired? Then I don't have money to live. That's an extreme example but I'm sure you understand what I'm talking about.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance