Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Living with PTSD (Potentially Triggering Material)

cv-shopping-081633_1.jpeg

Thanks @Former-Member  shopping has been most people's outing for so long so as the image portrays... make it count lol

I won't talk about hubby, not my forte, but you, hey, you're AMAZING! so take those little 'me' breaks all day. Someone on the forums advised me that and it really helps. I have a little spot in the morning sun so the birds keep me company. Some people use the toot but I'd recommend something more more pleasant. 

My apt is 1030 I have 4 things I wish to get help with. I never can answer that stupid question "how have you been" There's so many parts, states, often in conflict... which one do you put fwd? Which will help? I donno, guess I'm grateful I have someone trained to talk to. Had a meltdown last call from intake case manager saying sell only talk monthly now 😟 Just after I got to know her... Same will happen with psych so it's just very risky Business... Anyway Betta have something to eat.

YOU BE GENTLE AND KIND WITH YOURSELF Sherry. It shocked me one day when psychologist told me "the way we treat ourself is often the way we treat other people" OMG! Anni really that pinky... and critical of others? Really made me think and if it helps others to help myself... Then maybe I needed to stop beating up on myself. Makes sense. In a way, it's not selfish, because self care.,   self compassion... this changes the world for the better... Something like that. Oops, Betta go get ready in case she wants to face-talk or something lol

Heart @Former-Member  xx

@Zahlia  Thanks, thats very kind of you. 🌸

Thank you to each of you for your posts and your supports of my post yesterday.

@Owlunar @Maggie @outlander @Shaz51 @Sans911 @Former-Member @BlueBay @Zoe7 @Appleblossom @Peri @Faith-and-Hope @Former-Member @Former-Member @TAB @Adge @eth @CheerBear @Pollyotter @Lee82 @NatureLover @Snowie @MDT @greenpea @Molliex 

I seem to have been tripping from day to day, encountering PTSD triggers on a near daily basis over the past month. Almost anything seems to have been triggering me. And that conglomeration of stressors has resulted in putting me in a highly vulnerable, distressed and hyper-vigilant state. 

While I was having my recent break from the forums, those stressors continued in a big way.  And it was further exacerbated by the fact that I no longer had the support and comfort of my forum family to fall back on.  I felt very alone and as though I was fighting on all angles, in order to just survive each day.  Feeling very alone for me, is triggering in itself.  And perhaps my post to the Worry Room thread last Friday explains  that a little better.

My psychologist is currently on leave, after the sale of her business. So I've not had her to fall back on since early May.  She told me when I saw her last, that I could email her any time.  But as she is on leave ... busy with homeschooling two school aged kids, and building up her therapy dog breeding business ... I don't feel I can really do that.  So I will wait until I see her again in July.  Thankfully she will be returning to part time work then, for the new business owner. I'm greatly relieved that I will not have to find a new psychologist.

Okay, so where to start.  The nightmares probably.  Yes, my nights have been racked with almost nightly horrifying nightmares.  As I mentioned in my returning post on the Worry Room thread last Friday, whenever I feel very vulnerable, triggered and alone ... I experience a very traumatic recurring nightmare.  It's from the night I was raped.  It's very real, very frightening, and highly distressing. 

There are a few things which appear to have triggered these nightmares.  I started to write about this last night, but managed to trigger myself in the process.  So I left my draft until now, when I'm feeling a little better. But I will start with the less triggering portion, and will try to finish the rest later, if I feel I can.

My husband has been very unwell as he tapers off an AD which is notoriously difficult to withdraw from.  His psychiatrist has been phoning him weekly to monitor his progress, or lack of.  I think every negative side effect listed or known about, he has experienced over the 3 weeks since he has been tapering.  Two weeks ago he had his last dose. Since then, he has been experiencing SI and has been saying he wanted to die etc.  All of which is upsetting to me as well as him.  But of more impact on me has been his extremely violent explosive anger outbursts.  He has been so unpredictable and volatile.  People talk about walking on eggshells. With my husband it's much more like walking on hot coals, and getting burned in the process.  So that has left me feeling highly vulnerable and afraid within my own home.  I was raped in my own home, and this feeling represents another PTSD trigger for me.

I'm desperate to find a way to help hubby through all that he is going through right now. I know it's really hard for him, he feels awful and I'm sure worried about how he feels. Unfortunately he has not been honest with his psychiatrist, which does not help anyone. 

When I last saw my psychologist I told her all the difficulties of his rage outbursts, and how I was afraid of him.  And also how he was not being honest with his psych about how he's been and how he is affected. My psych told me (when I saw her in early May) that as his carer, I have the right to speak to his psychiatrist.  Indeed that I have an obligation to inform him of all the things he is not being told. Such as how much he drinks (he is an alcoholic), how he has been so angry and volatile, and how he has been talking about wanting to die.

I was not aware that I had this right. But apparently, hubby's psychiatrist cannot ask me for information, but I can volunteer information to him.  My psychologist said to ensure hubby's psychiatrist was made aware that it's vital hubby does not know I had passed on any information, due to likely repercussions.  So .. unbeknown to my husband, I contacted his psychiatrist last week via email and told him a few things he needed to know. Things I had an obligation (for both hubby and my own safety) to tell him. 

As a result of this additional information, last Friday hubby's psychiatrist spoke to him about going into hospital for a time.  Which of course he refused.  In the end, he put him on a new AD medication to try to settle him a little, and help him through the worst of the withdrawal process. Just the past couple of days I'm beginning to see some improvement.  He seems a little happier, a little calmer and his anger outbursts are not quite as extreme or unpredictable.  So fingers crossed that this improvement continues.  I'm hoping he goes back to his usual, more predictable yet still abusive, self.  At least I know I can handle that, I'm used to it. 

His psychiatrist phoned again today, and after discussions, he added a new sleep medication to his medication cocktail as of tonight. It's a highly restricted medication, of which you only get a pack of 7. I actually thought it was banned in Australia some years back, due to some incidents with our Olympic swimmers being on it years ago. But I guess that's since been changed. Upon reading the packet, it warns about possible bizarre behaviour, violence and suicide, among other worrying side effects.  Yikes, that's all we need!  This medication has some serious questions around it. Including unexplained deaths, murders commited while sleep walking ... all sorts of weird stuff. Whatever is his psychiatrist thinking by prescribing this stuff? I think I'll need to lock him in his room the nights he has this.  His psychiatrist will phone again next Friday, but left me his mobile number to call if needed prior to then.  Fingers crossed.

I will try to get to the second part of this post a little later.  Sorry for the dribs and drabs approach. 

Sherry 🌺

Sending you love and support @Former-Member   Can't find the right words, but to say I see you and hear you and feel for you.  Heart 💐

So very sorry @Former-Member about all you've suffered and continue to suffer. 😞

Hi @Former-Member 

Dribs and drabs will work - just write your story as you can - whew - no wonder you get triggered  - it must be like living on a time bomb - does it ever!

Yes  - it would be a good idea to lock his door at night and lock your own too and I already know you keep alert 

From what you have written I really do believe it's best to keep in touch with this community rather than battle things out alone  - we do share very intimate issues here and maybe that is because we don't know anything about who we re irl - no names, faces or where we live - so this is really safe and personally I never share what I read here irl - I honour a silence code and we all deserve privacy

I will have to look up what you wrote in the Worry Room - to update myself

All the best Sherry and i would be a good idea to email your psychologist - you haven't been bothering her through this weeks of lock-down and it might really help just to keep her up to date as well

Dec

@Former-Member  Love and light to you Sherry. Saying  a little prayer for you tonight xxx

I have no words to tell you that will make any of this better or easier for you my friend. Just know I will be here for you as much as possible, you need to know you are not alone in this. Thinking of you my friend. 

🐶💜 @Former-Member 💜🐶

@Former-Member 

Heart

Getting through the next month is important, gently as you can, given all the things you are juggling with yourself and partner.  I hope that it is part of the healing process to bring things and connections into consciousness and then release them.  Hoping.

Heart

It would not be too much for your psychologist to read an email and she has asked you to contact, so dont hold back. Be sensible re dealing with your partner.  Self protection first, and yes there is the "duty of care" responsibility to communicate, which is different to breaching privacy ...

I am struck by your beautiful bushy retreat home.  It seems like a wonderful grounding place to live. Take Care of yourself Sherry.

thinking of you my friend @Former-Member 

so much on your plate right now 

take care of you too. ❤️❤️

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance