Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday 2: Mindfulness Psychologist

Hello Shiva and thanks for your post.

Regular mindfulness practice is important. Many people ask me this question as we all live very busy lives and it can be hard to find time to fit practice in. My recomendation is to set realistic goals regarding your practice. Consistency is also necessary when it comes to mindfulness. Five minutes per day is actually better than one hour once per week. Start with what you can do and slowly increase it. Also sincerity is a key aspect. Understand what your are doing and why you practice. If you know what and why you are doing practising mindfulness you are much more likely to maintain your practice in the long term.

You don't have to practice mindfulness at the same time each day. However starting mindfulness practice at the same time will help your mind and body to get into a regular pattern of practice. In other words, it might be a little easier if you do keep the time similar.

Annabelle:

Openground might be a place to check out. They run retreats and classes http://www.openground.com.au

Great questions so far! 

I have a comment from a member, Fatima, who is unable to make it to tonight's session. But she has left this post:

"That sounds great. I hope the psychologist will give some strategies and suggested reading on how to develop my mindfulness. Also how to be mindful when engaging with a mentally well schizophrenic daughter who is a compulsive shopper and doesn't want to listen to suggestions to curtail her spending."

Hi BEmindful, in regards to this I was just wondering, I try practicing meditation by observing my breathing, but my mind still wanders so easily! Can you give some advice about how to deal with this? Is practicing mindfulness the same as meditation?

Dear Fatima,

Seems like you have a lot on your plate. Mindfulness can be very useful when trying to manage stressful situations. Step back from the interaction like you are a fly on the wall. When you are engaging with your daughter try to notice yourself as you are conversing.  Notice your breathing, is shallow? Notice your heart rate? Are there any other sensations in your body? You don't have to do anything, nor should you judge any responses you have. This may help you in being less reactive with her.

A short technqiue called the three-minute breathing space may assist you also. It comes from Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy, by J. Teasdale, M. Williams and Z. Segal and is called The Mindful Way Workbook. In a nutshell it asks you to focus your attention to your breath and be actively engaged in your breathing process and then expand your level of awareness to your total body.

Thanks I am online now. I will try to do that when conversion g with my daughter next time.

Also I am now trying to be more mindful,when eating as i used to,eat very fast

Hi BeMindful

it sounds like yoga and mindfulness are complimentary, and share principles which direct attention away from the cognitive workings of the brain, and draw attention to the physical senations/workings of the body.

I recently even heard someone say to focus on any reside tastes in the mouth...

Hi Snoo

good question, i am having trouble distinguishing the 2, if that is at all necessary?

Hi Snoo these are great questions!

Your mind wanders because that is what it is used to doing. It is untamed and you have to train it. The Buddhists and Yogi's call that the monkey mind as it behaves like a monkey jumping about (no offence intended)! When practising mindfulness you are training your mind to do something very different and it reacts to that. Your experience is very normal but with practice, patience and acceptance it will get easier. My suggestion is to not get frustrated and don't judge yourself. You will have both challenging and good days. Perhaps you might like to try to count your breath. Count your inhalations and exhalations and set up a rhythm. This will enable you to establish a better connection with your breath and act as a preparation for you to watch your breath with greater ease.

Mindfulness and meditation are co existing concepts, however they are not entirely similar. Mindfulness can be practiced formally and informally. Meditation is an example of a formal mindfulness practice. However you can practice mindfulness without meditation. Informal mindfulness practices include eating with awareness, but there are many more out there and you can think of just about anything you like! Be creative with your mindfuless practice.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance