Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday 2: Mindfulness Psychologist

Hi Karma and Snoo, I've also heard mindfulness, yoga and mediation are all quite similar. BeMindful, do they differ much?

Hi BeMindful

can you please elaborate more on the techniques in which you can practice and experience mindfulness that you mention please?

For example how would you start with someone as a beginner to mindfulness, and what 'homework' might you set them between sessions with yourself?

In a busy society many must struggle, as i do to shut off from the constant demands of life, and our constant availability to others through the advance of technology.

What are your thoughts on this please?

Hi CherryBomb Karma and Snoo

Yoga and meditation are very broad concepts and in the West have taken on their own meaning. Yoga and meditation are both formal mindfulness practises, are commonly used in many evidence-based mindfulness treatments and have many similarities. When practiced properly (ie. with full body and breath awareness) yoga enables you to establish an inner connection to your state of being by connecting the mind and body. Yoga could therefore be seen as a moving meditation. Meditation is traditionally done sedentary however has the same potential to innovate the parasympathetic nervous system and relax you. Both practises help you to raise your level of awareness and are highly complimentary. I don't see a lot of difference between the two.

Thanks. I will.

Are there any good (simple) books or resources you could.recommend?

Dear Karma,

Beginners to mindfulness should start with a simple mindfulness exercise which introduces them to the experiental concept of mindfulness. I usually always start with the raisin exercise (originally from Mindfulness-based stress reduction). Then for homework I would suggest the client eats one meal a day, or even drink a cup of tea with full awareness and mindfulness until our next session. Unless the client has had previous mindfulness/yoga/meditation experience I don't get them to sit for any period of time until about the third session.

Recently returning from a quiet yoga retreat overseas to city life I find most have people very busy minds. There is distraction everywhere, which only feeds stress. A good example is the internet and smart phones, which quickly take people out of the present moment. People are constantly doing, they are not being in the moment. Mindfulness is the exact opposite of manner in which society seems to be going. Mindfulness asks you to go slower. Mindfulness wants you to look inside.

My suggestion is to not judge yourself for finding it hard to switch off. Just be in the present. When you are using technology say to yourself I am on my phone right now, or I am choosing to distract myself by watching television at the moment. Be aware of what you are doing and sit with your emotions.  

Hey everyone, just letting you know that we have 10 more minutes before we wrapping. So if you have any more questions, now's your chance to post!

Annabelle:

There are many books about mindfulness. My suggestion would be start with The Mindful Way Through Depression by Williams, Teasdale, Segal and Kabat-Zinn. These authors have written many books on mindfulness.

What a wonderful night, so many practical tips and resources. I hope that some of you have found the advice from BeMindful useful. 

Thanks so much for words of wisdom, BeMindful. thank you image.jpeg

Thank you for your kind words CherryBomb it has been a pleasure to contribute to the forum. I have really enjoyed chatting with all of you and I hope I have been of some assitance.

Thanks for having me, I have had a great time!

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance