Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday// Speak Up: The Power in Using Your Voice // Tuesday 30th January 2024 5:30-7PM AEDT

I suppose it depends on what the value is and how subjective it is. Ethics is a field of study for a reason. Positive psychology is a field of study for a reason.

Re: Topic Tuesday// Speak Up: The Power in Using Your Voice // Tuesday 30th January 2024 5:30-7PM AEDT

@Loiter Speaking up at work is a very hard, hey? Something that has been really empowering for me is really getting to understand what my rights as a worker are! I know it can be a bit dry and not everyone's cup of tea but The Fair Work Act is important to remind ourselves that we have rights to speak up! I am all about knowing our rights are! 

Very true @Glisten 🙂

@chibam wrote:

@amber22 wrote:

How can we put into action what our values are? 

OMG, this one is so prickly! Because expressing our values can be so toxic to those around us if those values are contradictory to their own, can't it?

So, IMHO, we pretty much need to view this question as a follow-up to other questions like:

• Should we put our values into action?
  • How can we get funneled in to an environment where putting our values into action will actually be beneficial? Not just for ourselves, but ideally for those around us, too?

@chibam, there is always the potential for our values to differ from others, but I don't think that necessarily means you shouldn't express your values. There can be the option to agree to disagree.

Firstly, you are not alone if you have a tendency to avoid conflict or difficult conversations. A part of me is absolutely conflict adverse, but I have evolved so much in the way I approach difficult conversations. The more I speak up, the more evidence I am gathering to reaffirm my sense of agency and feel empowered to tell others how I feel.

I also want to acknowledge that difficult conversations can look different for all of us. Feeling prepared to disagree with a mental health diagnosis might be difficult for some of us and some of us might find it difficult to talk to our housemate about their week-old dishes in the sink. A difficult conversation might be political- it might come with biased attitudes and closed mindedness. A difficult conversation could be about life and death or about what to have for dinner. No matter how big the issues or seemingly insignificant the topic, it can still be a challenge.

Thinking about any interaction that I am invested in the outcome of- I want to be mindful of my approach. This means making a plan, being prepared, taking responsibility for how I engage and acknowledging my own accountability in the circumstances. I want to be able to have the capacity to engage with my words the best I can. Now as someone that is a self-described sensitive and emotional person, distress can be a very real barrier for me to have challenging conversations. I want to be aware of my window of tolerance and I try my best to only engage in the hard conversations if I have the capacity to do so. I want to be engaged with my wise mind and be cautious about not making assumptions.

I want to be present when having important conversations. I want to minimise distractions so I can actively listen. I want to engage with integrity and speak with honesty and while I can be in control of this for myself, I also need to take others on their word and trust that they are doing the same. Integrity is an individual responsibility! Something else that I try to be intentional about is that I can’t control how the other person responds. It takes vulnerability to be present and willing to accept accountability. It takes emotional regulation skills to be able to respond and not react. It can take some genuine critical reflection to be able to not take things personally and not make things personal (I think most of us can understand that it hurts when we are attacked). In contrast to an attack, constructive criticism can be uncomfortable, but also come with opportunity. It can be important to recognise the difference between the two.

I believe that it is important to be able to acknowledge power and privilege when speaking up in challenging conversations and especially when navigating conflict. Authority can reinforce power imbalances and this can sometimes impact engagement- for me- especially when it comes to doctors and mental health professionals. Developing a sense of self-awareness about how we respond in stressful situations (or relationships with power imbalances) can also be very helpful. Understanding my fight/flight/freeze/fawn response can be very helpful when it comes to recentering and maintain composure when being challenged. Nervous System Responses (for visual learners)

Basically- when it comes to difficult conversations I find the D.E.A.R.M.A.N DBT tool really helpful- this is a great resource explaining the tool: DEAR MAN- Interpersonal Effectiveness Tool

This is my personal favourite resource when it comes to the tough conversations: We Have to Talk: A Step-By-Step Checklist for Difficult Conversations

Finally, I think that it is important to keep in mind that sometimes with might not walk away with the outcome that we want. Being willing to compromise and collaborate can be critical. I also try to acknowledge that if I am being realistic- then leaving the conversation without an outcome is also a genuine possibility and something to stay reminded of.  

I love this @Glisten !!!! A favourite saying of mine is "No is a complete sentence!"

Incredible information 💝

Thank you so much ❤️ ❤️ ❤️ 

Loving all of these answers everyone!

Now for our next question...

How can we do activism our way? @oscbeep 

I LOVE the polyvagal chart! Very good explanation. It's different from the hyper/hypoarousal models I've seen. In those models, the valence of hyper and hypoarousal is equal, whereas in polyvagal it looks like the equivalent of hypoarousal is almost a more extreme state than hyperarousal. But I suppose they could both be right.

Are you able to explain this a little? @Loiter 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance